Stuck in casual work?

If you are stuck in casual employment and want out, you are not alone, right now Australia has record high insecure work. There is good news though, because there is one easy and effective way to get permanent work using something called ‘casual conversion’.

Casual conversion provides a pathway for many to go from casual employment to full-time or part-time employment if you have worked regular hours over a 12 month period.

Most Awards and Agreements now have a casual conversion clause included. This means that you can apply for permanent work right now.

Login to see your Agreement or Award.


How to convert to permanent employment

Does your work allow it:

First of all, a casual conversion clause must be included in the Award or Agreement which covers you at work. Most Awards and most new Agreements have a casual conversion clause included.

Meeting requirements:

To qualify to apply you must first meet the necessary requirements. A casual employee may request to convert to full-time or part-time employment if they have worked regular and systematic hours over a 12 month period.

Requesting permanent work:

The request must be in writing and given to the employer. The employer is required to provide a written response within 21 days of the request being received and must state whether the employer grants or refuses the request.

Refusals of requests:

Your employer can only refuse the request on reasonable grounds.

Get support:

If you need assistance writing your request or if you think your request has been unreasonably refused, contact the union.


Casual conversion and the workplace

Casual conversion will not eliminate casual employment nor will it force workers to become permanent who wish to remain casual.

The conversion clause will not impose any significant burden on employers, but it does open a pathway for many casual workers currently trapped in long term casual arrangements when a permanent job could and should be made available.

If you are casual but are worried about your hours being cut, please read I'm casual: can my hours be cut?

Login to see your Award or Agreement. For further information regarding casual conversion please see your store delegate or contact the union on 1300 732 4357.

We’ve got you covered

For news and info from where you work, choose your industry.