KFC Worker Burned in Workplace Accident

A sixteen year old KFC worker in Geelong suffered horrific burns to his face and body in a workplace accident on Friday night.

Tyson Grieg, 16, an experienced cook, worked for KFC for 2 years when the incident occurred.

'I was shocked at how badly burnt he had been, due to I was told it was just boiling water', his mother Kylie Grieg told Seven News through tears.

There is an investigation underway into whether Tyson was burnt by boiling water or oil, and his mum said she's yet to get any answers from his employers.

The SDA wish to offer our best wishes to the Grieg family and hope Tyson makes a speedy recovery.

The importance of safety in the workplace must always be a number one priority for any employer and for Tyson to suffer third degree burns to his face and body while completing tasks at work is completely unacceptable.

The SDA today launched our second annual safety week - ‘Safety Demands Action’ Week. From Monday 10 August, right across the country, the SDA will be in workplaces talking to workers about their health and safety priorities as part of Safety Demands Action week.

This year we will be putting the spotlight on Workload issues though our safety chats with workers.  We are also asking you for your feedback through our national online survey on Workload.

If members identify a safety concern/risk in their workplace, please do not hesitate to contact your Organiser or the office on 4961 4694. Your safety in the workplace is our priority. 

Look out for your Delegate or Organiser in –store from Monday 10 August or for more information about Safety Demands Action week contact 4961 4694.

*Pictures courtesy of Channel7. 

We’ve got you covered

For news and info from where you work, choose your industry.