The Shop, Distributive and Allied Employee’s Association, Newcastle and Northern Branch is an organisation of employees registered under the Federal Workplace Relations Act 1996. The Union is also bound by the provisions of the Privacy Act 1988.
1. The Union collects personal information from members, including name, address, employer, occupation, date of birth and contact details.
2. The information we collect is to assist us in achieving the objectives of the Union and to advance our membership by providing trade union services and benefits to our members.
3. To help the union meet its objectives it may need to disclose personal information about you to:
* Union officials including but not limited to Delegates and Officers of the Union;
* Your employer or other relevant statutory authorities in appropriate circumstances;
* The Union’s Solicitors and/or other legal representatives for the purpose of obtaining advice as to your industrial or legal entitlements and representation in industrial or workers compensation matters;
* Your Superannuation Fund in respect to changes to your mailing address or other details;
* Organisations seeking verification of your union membership from us before providing a service or benefit to you;
* The Australian Electoral Commission or similar body for the conduct of ballots required under law;
* Candidates in elections conducted for the Union in accordance with the Union Rules;
* The Mailing House contracted by the Union who are bound by their own confidentiality agreement;
* Researches authorised by the Union to conduct approved research;
* Other persons authorised under State and Federal legislation.
4. The SDA is committed to providing secure storage of, and control of access to, personal information held by the Union and any other organisation with which it deals.
5. It is a requirement of the Workplace Relations Act 1996, that we maintain a record of your home address. If this information is not kept current, you may miss out on important notices and publications and may be denied access to the Union¡¦s services or not be permitted to exercise your rights as a member.
6. You may gain access to your personal information held by the SDA Newcastle and Northern Branch under the terms of the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988 by contacting the Branch’s Privacy Officer as follows:
The Privacy Officer
SDA Newcastle and Northern Branch
PO Box 118
HAMILTON NSW 2303
Phone: (02) 4961 4694
Fax: (02) 4962 2598